Sunday 4 November 2012

My NaNo Adventure Begins. Belatedly.

After suffering a slight delay, I'm relieved to say that my NaNoWriMo adventure has finally begun.

What was the delay? Well, it was a week from hell in compiling my opening letter, blurb, synopsis, and a (final, final) draft of my opening chapters to send to literary agents. One literary agent to start with. Names have been withheld to protect the innocent, but there will be a copy of the above landing in an agent's 'slushpile' tomorrow morning. According to the website, I can look forward to their rejection (sorry, "response") within 4-6 weeks. Perhaps a little too long to go holding my breath.

I'll put a few more details of Book One up in due course but for the moment I'll leave you with the title:


Subversion

Nice title, I think and hope you'll agree!

Whilst I go through the agency submission process, work can begin on Book Two, currently codenamed 'Dysfunctional'. And no, it's not a biography.

With Subversion having taken longer to write than than the average time it takes to form small planets*, I'm trying a different technique with Book Two, which is essentially writing the first draft as quickly as possible with little concern for the quality of prose. November presents the perfect opportunity for this with it being National Novel Writing Month, aka known as NaNoWriMo or 'Nano' for short. Nano was created to help people who've always wanted to write a book knock out a first draft in double-quick time. The target is to have 50,000 words written in thirty days during the month of November.

Unfamiliar but intrigued by Nano? You can find out more here: http://www.nanowrimo.org

I'm interested to see the results, and whether this creates a different feel to that of Subversion. It may, of course, merely leave me with 50,000 words of incomprehensible text.

I'll keep some updates going with regard to my progress on Book Two (Dysfunctional), but with today being my first full day on the project I've clocked 4,246 words. I'm already behind schedule, but there's no need to panic yet, surely?

Right then, till the next update!

Edd

*May or may not be accurate; if you happen to bump in to that keyboard player from D:Ream, I'm sure he could tell you for certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment